Travelers who travel carry the best travel watches for determining time and date. Now it is a multifunctional accessory, showing even sunrise and sunset, north direction, and weather forecast. The rating of the best watches for vacation will tell you about the most popular gadgets of 2021.
Important Features of Traveler’s Watches
Hiking watches must withstand the hardships of travel: durable under external influences and long periods without recharging. Quality travel watch designs have the following characteristics.
- Water resistance is indicating on the structure (WATERPROOF). Products marked WR 30m will be splash resistant, while products marked WR 100m can use for swimming in a matter of hours. For diving, the optimal mark is Diver’s, and water resistance is 200m.
- Shock resistance is provided by cases made of durable materials (steel, titanium) and watch glass (mineral or sapphire). Straps and bracelets are important elements in terms of strength and are available in metal, frost-resistant plastic, or textiles. The listed properties protect the watch from damage from drops, shocks, and vibrations.
- Autonomy is provided by batteries or accumulators. The power supply can last for several hours or several years (5-6). This range depends on the frequency with which the power-intensive functions are used (backlighting, working with GPS, etc.).
Useful Travel Watch Options
For travel and outdoor activities, every tourist will need the following functions.
- Compass. Available on all models, but sometimes inaccurate, but, cardinal directions should be displayed with minimal deviation.
- Barometer. Shows fluctuations in atmospheric pressure (with a decrease – the probability of precipitation increases, with an increase – no precipitation, even readings – weather stability).
- Storm warning. If the pressure drops sharply, the watch will notify you of an expected storm with an audible signal. An important option for self-climbing, allowing you to shelter from the weather.
- Altimeter. This option is useful for mountaineers and rock climbers, as it shows the elevation above sea level, which is important when climbing. Sometimes it shows the altitude incorrectly, because it measures this indicator, focusing on the barometer reading. Pressure often changes not only from altitude but also from weather conditions, so even if you are in the same place, you may see different altimeter readings. It needs to be calibrated periodically and preferably at the starting point.
- Navigation. The GPS on the device is a nice bonus, which lets you download a basic geographic map in advance and use the route for safety reasons. However, a functioning GPS drains the device quickly, so you should bring a charger with you. On a serious big tourist trip, at least one person from the group must have such a navigator.
- Thermometer. The model has a wide temperature range. For example, in the collection of Suunto and Garmin models, the temperature range is from -20 to +60, while the Casio range is from -10 to +60. To get an accurate reading, you need to take the product out and wait a few minutes.
Best Travel Watch
Among the classic non-smart watches, there are many models designed for travel and outdoor activities. They are distinguished by a waterproof, shock-resistant case, the presence of a compass, and are powered by a solar battery. The best models are presented in a rating.
On active travel, the phone can be too bulky and difficult to use. For such occasions, a travel smartwatch is suitable. With their help, you can answer calls, listen to music, turn on the camera or voice recorder without touching the phone.
1. SUUNTO Traverse Alpha
Suunto Traverse Alpha is a reliable travel smartwatch with high precision. You can take it safely on your hikes.
The case is made of stainless steel and the strap is made of textile. Sapphire crystal with backlight. Weight – 75 grams 5 cm wide, 5 cm high, and 1.5 cm thick.
The smartwatch works with both iOS and Android platforms. Functions include the ability to view notifications, GPS and GLONASS navigation, calorie monitoring, gyroscope, compass, thermometer, stopwatch, and timer.
There are special options for hunters. Standby time is 336 hours and inactive mode 100 hours.
2. Casio GW-M5610-1ER
Casio GW-M5610-1ER is an amazing watch. Imagine that this tiny device, while you sleep, receives a signal from the vibration of a cesium atom from somewhere far away. And it recharges its energy from a star! The difference in scale is impossible to imagine, but it all works in your hands.
3. Amazfit Stratos
Amazfit Stratos 3 is built for professional sports, the Amazfit Stratos 3 adopts a 1.34-inch full round transflective MIP display perfectly suitable for outdoor use; the brighter the light is, the clearer the display looks.
The four physical buttons enable you to browse through the features and control the device without using the touch screen. This is especially useful while running or when your hands are shaky after intensive workouts.
The 316L stainless steel body combined with reinforced plastic makes the watch robust while minimizing its weight, and the black silicone strap facilitates ventilation and perspiration.
Freely adjust the power consumption of your endurance sports modes such as trail running, outdoor walking, and climbing, so you can get from 35 hours to an impressive 70 hours of GPS continuous operating capacity.
The watch is also equipped with authoritative Firstbeat algorithms used by professional sports teams.
They provide you with various professional data, so you can dramatically improve your exercise capacity while avoiding the risk of injuries caused by excessive workouts. Battery – 300mAh lithium-ion polymer battery (typical value).
4. Polar M430
The Polar M430 is a running watch with integrated GPS, 24/7 activity tracking, and 6 LED wrist-based heart rates. New improved Fitness Test, breathable wristbands in exciting colors, and 8 hours training time.
Includes smart notifications (via Vibra alert), wrist-based running metrics (cadence, speed & distance), the Polar Back to Start & Polar’s unique Smart Coaching features.
5. Insting Garmin
When you can rely on Instinct, the world can rely on you. This rugged, reliable outdoor GPS watch is built for the U. S. Military standard 810G for thermal, shock and water resistance (Rated to 100 meters).
The fiber-reinforced polymer case adds strength and durability, and the chemically-strengthened, scratch-resistant display is high-contrast enough to read in bright sunlight, so you can take it with you into the extremes you face every day.
Plus, the fully vented silicone bands include two independent, removable keeper loops to ensure a secure fit and to keep you from getting caught on things. Water rating: 10 ATM.
6. Fossil FS4487IE
Stylish accessories made of quartz will become not only an addition but also a travel assistant. The case of Fossil FS4487IE is made of stainless steel and the strap is made of silicone.
The screen is made of mineral glass. Its thickness is 1.3 cm, and its diameter is 4.5 cm. The time is displayed by the 12/24 hour hand. No numbers. battery charging.
From its function, there is a chronograph, the ability to display the date, and a stopwatch. When buying, people pay attention to the water-resistance of the WR50 class and the stylish design.
7. Casio Rangeman GW-9400
Born from a dream of “creating a watch that never breaks.” It was over 30 years ago, a CASIO engineer won the battle against the laws of nature.
Rangeman employs a Shock Resistant Triple Sensor, which makes it capable of keeping altitude, barometric pressure, temperature, and direction readings at your fingertips.
Cylindrical buttons provide outstanding operation and improved resistance to impact. The frequently used sensor button has a metal cover that protects it against lateral impact and keeps foreign matter out.
Pressing the sensor button in any mode takes you directly to a sensor screen. Each sensor mode has its audible tone, which means you can determine which mode you are entering without even looking at the watch.
8. Casio SGW-100-2BCF
These new models pack Twin Sensor and temperature and direction readings into a 200M water resistant design that is perfect for sports, work, or other activities that involve water.
In addition to world time, stopwatch alarm, and other basic timekeeping functions, these models also include a direction sensor and temperature sensor. Direction readings and time are indicated by large, easy-to-read figures.
A large LCD is divided into three segments for a clear, easy-to-understand presentation of data. Mineral glass is used to protect against scratching.
9. Apple Watch SE (GPS, 40mm)
The Apple Watch SE is nearly identical to the Series 6 but lacks ECG or blood oxygen features, as these health features require hardware components that Apple doesn’t include in the cheaper Apple Watch.
In terms of design and features, the Apple Watch SE is a cross between Series 4, Series 5, and Series 6. The Apple Watch SE is available in 40mm and 44mm sizes and has a thinner and smaller case like the Series 4.
All Apple Watch SE models are made of aluminum and have case colors include Silver, Gold, and Space Grey, a new aluminum option.
Apple Watch SE features a large Retina OLED Display. But, it doesn’t have the same Always-On features available on Apple Watch Series 6.
Black ceramic and sapphire crystal base with integrated sensor, the tactile digital crown for navigating the operating system, and Ion-X glass protects the display. It has the same speakers and microphone as the Series 6 for phone calls and Walkie-Talkie.
Apple Watch SE models are water-resistant to 50 meters. The loudspeaker, which requires air to reproduce sound, is the only entry point and is designed to remove water from itself using sound vibrations after exposure to moisture.
Apple Watch for travel can use while swimming in the ocean or the pool. However, it is only suitable for shallow-water activities and cannot use for scuba diving, jet-skiing, bathing, or other activities.
10. Polar Vantage M
Push limits using data-driven insight with the Polar Vantage M Multisport GPS training watch. Get the most accurate data ever with Polar Precision Prime Heart Rate sensors while Load Pro calculates how training affects your body for a complete picture.
Go long with up to 30 hours of GPS swim, bike, or run. The Vantage M is a waterproof watch, heart rate watch, and multisport fitness tracker, and activity tracker all in one. Take your fitness to the next level with cutting-edge sports activity tracking. Gain the real advantage with Vantage M.